SMTC's early involvement in the design cycle can provide customers with a product that is more cost effective, increased manufacturability and quality, has higher reliability and a longer overall lifecycle. During our involvement in design reviews we'll focus on key areas throughout the cycle and provide critical feedback to address potential issues and ensure a successful new product introduction. Design reviews can also be categorized into material (design for supply chain), test (design for testability), fabrication (design for fabrication) and assembly (design for manufacturability).
Benefits of performing DFx:
- Reduced lead time and material costs (DFSC)
- Improved PCB yield and cost (DFF)
- Improved Assembly yield and reduced labour content (DFA)
- Improved Coverage and Final yield, reduced RMA and field failures. (DFT)
- Reduced engineering development and resources, improved time to market (Development)
- Improved Production Stability and Predictability (DFM)
- Continuous Improvement (Post-DFM, ROI)
SMTC value engineering services enable customers to optimize product manufacturability and quality performance.
We focus on every aspect of design and manufacturing processes assessing all impacts on cost, function, program schedule and overall requirements.
SMTC works closely with customers to find appropriate opportunities for cost reduction. We examine every element that doesn't contribute to the value and performance of a product:
- DFSC (Design for Supply Chain)
- DFA (Design for Assembly)
- DFT (Design for Test)
- DFM (Design for Manufacturing)
Design-for-manufacturability (DFM) and design-for-test (DFT) target the labour portion of the total cost and Design-for-supply chain (DFSC) focuses on the materials portion of the manufacturing cost.
SMTC works collaboratively with customers to identify, prioritize and implement opportunities for cost reduction every step of the way.
Design reviews can uncover valuable opportunities to reduce costs, whether it's related to new component and layout applications, new technologies or functional enhancements.
We also work shoulder to shoulder with our customers to develop future product plans and manufacturing strategies that save costs. Where it makes sense, SMTC provides a proven migration path to low-cost manufacturing solutions in Mexico or China.